There are four (4) Rites of Umrah:
- Putting up of Ihram
- Qasar / Halaq
A pilgrim sets niyyah (intention) of Hajj & Umrah and recites Talbiya before Meqat.
Procedures of Ihram
- Take a bath (Ghusal) with the intention of Ihram
- Wear ihram sheets
- Offer two Rakat of Nafal by covering your head.
- With your head uncover declare your intention/ Niyyah :
اَللَّهُمَّ اِنِّيْ أُرِيْدُ الْحَجَّ فَيَسْرِهُ لِيْ وَ تَقَبَّلْهُ مِنِّيْ
“O ALLAH! I intend to perform Hajj, please make it easy for me and accept it from me”
- Start reciting Talbiya continuously. It is compulsory to recite Talbiya loudly once.
- Enter Masjid Al Haram: Recite Darud e Sharif and Supplicate to ALLAH and proceed towards Kabah.
- Keep your eyes fixed at Baitullah and Say:
اللّهُ أكبر اللّهُ أكبر, لا إلَهَ الا اللّه, اللّهُ أكبر اللّهُ اكبر, و لِلّه الحمدَ
- After this recite Talbiya and move forward to perform Tawaf.
Prohibitions of Ihram
- Cutting Nails
- Hair cutting Or removing extra hair from any part of the body.
- Use of any scents on the body or on the robes.
- Stitched Clothing.
- Sandals and flip flops must not be stitched either and should allow the ankle and back of foot to be exposed.
- Covering Face or Head.
- Hunting of animals even of lice.
- Sexual activity
Upon arriving at the Kaabah, stop reciting the Talbiyyah. You must be in Wudu (ablution). Men to leave their right shoulder bare ONLY during the entire Tawaf, this is called Idtiba’a, after the tawaf men need to cover both shoulders.
- Start at the Black Stone, either
- Kiss it if you can, if not.
- Touch it with your right hand, if not
- Face the Black Stone and point at it with your right hand
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ, اللّهُ أكبر
(just before kissing it/or just before or whilst touching/pointing) For men, to Raml (hasten/briskly walk) during the first 3 rounds of Tawaf and walk normally during the other 4 rounds. Once you reach the Yamani corner, either Touch it with your right hand (do not kiss it), and say بِسْمِ اللَّهِ, اللّهُ أكبر or if unable, then continue without gesturing or saying anything From the Yamani corner to the Black Stone recite This means moving around Kabah seven times with respect and devotion.The pilgrims must walk keeping Kabah on their left. When they will reach at Rukh al Yamani (the fourth corner of Kabah) they should only touch Hijra e Aswad (the Black stone) and Say
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَ فِي الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّار
“Our Lord grant us good in this life and Hereinafter.”
At the End of Seven circles they will do Istilam (touch or kiss the Black Stone) and say
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ, اللّهُ أكبر
. After Tawaf the pilgrims will offer 2 rakat of Nafal close to Maqam-e-Ibrahim without covering their heads.
The pilgrims will go to zamzam, which is situated in the basement of Haram to drink the water (Zamzam) while standing and saying “بِسْمِ اللَّهِ” and (supplicate to ALLAH) :
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ عِلْمَاً نَافِعَاًً وَرِزْقَاً وَاسِعَاًَ وَشِفَاءً مِنْ كُلِّ دَاءٍ
“O ALLAH! I implore for the beneficial knowledge, vast provisions and cure from every disease.”
The meaning of Sa’ey is to run/ walk back and forth seven times between the hills of Safah & Marwa which are situated to the North and South of Kabah. The seventh trip will end at Marwa. After this the pilgrim will offer two (2) rakat nafal.
4. Qasar / Halaq
After Sa’ey male pilgrims will get their heads completely shaved, females will clip their hair equal to a length of a fingertip.